Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Hawk's Nest - Part 3



1. Akercocke - The Goat of Mendes

The Goat of Mendes is without a doubt Akercocke's most underrated album. With this band being one of my favorites, I love all of their stuff, but this ranks up at the top with Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone. Just more menacing, satanic blackened/progressive death metal that these Brits have been producing for years.



2. Iniquity - Serenadium

Again, another album that seems to be underappreciated. When I first heard Iniquity's Serenadium, I was completely blown away. I was expecting another good OSDM album, but this one ranks up there as one of my favorites. This thing just riffs hard. Highly, highly recommended for death metal fans.



3. Ludicra - Another Great Love Song

I was so upset when I heard this band broke up because they were one of my favorites in the recent black metal scene. Female fronted, punk influenced black metal from San Fransisco. All three of their full-length albums are worth listening to, but Another Great Love Song is definitely my favorite.



4. Astarte - Doomed Dark Years

Again, a female fronted black metal band. Actually, the whole band is made up of females. Before this band completely sold out and opted to be a melo-death version of Kittie, they played some awesome second wave black metal, and that's what you hear on Doomed Dark Years. The final track on this album, The Rise of Metropolis, is one of my favorite black metal songs ever.



5. Naglfar - Pariah

A lot of you may not think too much of this band, but I really like them. To me, Naglfar, hailing from Sweden, is one of the premier bands that plays melodic black metal nowadays. They really don't do anything too special, but they have some great riffs and I really like the vocalist. Don't confuse this band with the German atmospheric black metal band Nagelfar.



6. Motionless in White - Creatures

One of the very few instances where I'll genuinely love a "generic" metalcore album. However, this album really isn't all that generic. Yes it has your breakdowns and your shouting vocals and all that good stuff, but it also mixes in some gothic elements as well, making it stand out a little bit among the hordes of other bands playing metalcore.

3 comments: